Saturday, March 13, 2010

Attack of the cake

Ever wonder what your floor might look like covered in cake and frosting? Well though I did think about taking a picture, I was too upset and I felt like I didn't want to remember this at the time.

Katie and one of the little girls I babysit (who is Katie's age) come into my room while I'm doing my hair and makeup and Katie informs me that they had some cake. (This was leftover cake from a church party from the night before). So I put them in timeout and reminded them they are not to get into food without permission. (They had just had snack time not too long before too). Then I went downstairs and saw cake crumbs and frosting strewn all across the living room and kitchen floors. And I mean all over. After putting them back in timeout, I had to carpet clean and mop the floors - I figured sweeping and vacuuming would only make it worse. I had the girls sit out of the way on the stairs or couch while I cleaned (I didn't want them to step in it). Eventually one ended up asleep on the couch and the other (Katie) finally took a nap in her room. It takes time to carpet clean with a hand held carpet cleaner. Definitely considering getting a full size one. And to top it all off I also discovered they had pulled dirty dishes from the dishwasher to plate their cake with. Errrr! I guess this is payback for when my brother and I smeared shortening all over the house when we were kids. (Sorry about that by the way). Too many times kids just don't think about the consequences of their actions. Later after I had it all cleaned up I asked Katie were you guys throwing the cake or something? She replied - no, it just got on our feet. Trust me it was a mess! But on the bright side - my floors are nice and clean now.

4 comments:

Heather said...

You probably handled this much better than I would have. I really don't like it when the kids make a mess, but to make a goewy, hard to clean mess...that if much harder for me to keep my calm. I am sure I would have put them in their rooms the rest of the day. At least you have nice clean floors.

Curtis and Deedra said...

I probably would have lost it too. I guess it depends on the day. But nice to have clean floors again ;)

Stillman and Michelle said...

At least you found a way to look on the bright side.

Vernie and Tony said...

I wish you'd taken pictures!! I remember when Chris got into the powder and he had it all over his face and dresser and floor! It made a great picture but I have to admit it was easier to clean up than cake and my house smelled good too! lol